Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Content

The idea of a story is the lifeblood of writing. But sometimes it feels like the last drop of blood has been drained from a corpse. There is nothing left to give, nothing left to give your creative writing life!  Even mid-story I find that happening. Even if I know where I want to go with it, i cant seem to produce enough blood to make it rise and take another step. It can become difficult to get to where I want it to be. But the best thing to do is just write. Something. Anything really. Even if its not that good, because once you start you'll find your way to the good stuff. Its like giving a blood transfusion without knowing the recipients blood type. Eventually one type is going to stay. It may be ugly and the blood may be rejected, but eventually you'll get it right. Where that blood comes from? Who knows.   My stories come from all around me. Working, family,  just what I see and hear, and by golly sometimes it just "comes to me". I just twist it to be something horrific. There is isn't any rhyme or reason to how, or why, or what inspires me to write. I don't just say, "this is what I'm going to write."  I cant dictate what what the content is. I have an idea sure, but its never fully formed.And  I do not shy away from where the writing might take the content. Sometimes the story becomes completely different from what you've originally intended. There's really no telling what story might come out of this sort of free writing. You might find a whole new story (separate from the one you are working on) if you allow yourself to just write, and then bam there are a few more drops of blood in the corpse.So don't stop writing that's the worst thing you could do, a corpse without blood is...well its still a corpse, but....certainly not about to come to life.

No comments:

Post a Comment