Thursday, May 10, 2012

Editing

Editing....When you finally hit the last key on your keyboard (or the last twist of your pen, if you're writing long hand) your manuscript is done. Complete. Finished. There is a feeling of relief; relief that the hard work has finally paid off. But, unfortunately, its not over yet. Not by a long shot. Editing and revising  is one of my weakest areas-- I might even say it is my weakest area -- as a writer. Once I have finished writing I say "Shit I already spent ____(insert number of days, weeks, or months) writing it and it made sense. So reading it isn't going to improve it."  But I know I am wrong. So very, very, very wrong. Even the best authors in the world don't ooze perfectly edited manuscripts, so who the hell am I to think that I can do what those that make a living as writers can't. Creative writing is always molding, its like a metamorphosis that never ends.But there is  a point where you put the story down, sure. But its finding that happy balance of carefully editing without becoming neurotic about it that is key. Just yesterday I opened up one of the very first short stories I've ever written and made some substantial edits to it. I planned on submitting it to a publication called One Buck Horror, and knew that I needed to tighten it up the best I could for them. It was fine the way it was to show my friends and to post on forums, but to a well trained eye it would never work.

No comments:

Post a Comment